Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

Saplings

Hello followers! Sorry for the delay in posts. This past week I started a new job working at the University of Maryland campus. It has been quite fun. I have been helping to maintain gardens and pretty soon I will be helping the Arboretum Outreach Center by cataloging woody plants and shrubs around campus, which means I will be able to get lots and lots of cuttings and small saplings. Just this past week I took two saplings from flower beds.
The first one is Quercus sp. or some species of oak. It is a red oak of sorts, as oaks are divided into two different groups, red oaks and white oaks. The only way I could identify it right now though is by the leaves, which on red oaks have little "hairs" at the points of the leaves. Red oaks have the "pointy" edged leaves while white oaks have the smooth or way edged. Red oaks include Quercus acutissima, Q. cerris, Q. falcata,  Q. georgiana, Q. imbricaria, Q. marilandica, Q. nigra, Q. palustris, Q. coccinea, as well as a handful of others. Red oaks, and oaks in general, aren't incredibly picky trees. Within each species they vary slightly but they aren't incredibly high maintenance. They like well drained moist soil, a good bit of sun, and aside from their acorns, are generally problem free. There is the problem "Sudden oak death" caused by an organism, Phytophthora ramorum. As of now it is in a little planter and one of its three leaves is starting to brown despite the enormous amount of rain we've gotten (or perhaps that's why its browning). Anyway I'll let you all know how it's doing in a week or so. Additionally I obtained a Caryopteris xcladonensis, also known as bluebeard. It is a small shrub that has bright blue flowers in late summer. It is a cross between C. incana and C. mongholica and is a very common form for cultivation. It likes a loose, loamy soil and should be in full sun. It is tolerant of acidic and lime-based soils. Too much moisture in the soil however will destroy this plant, and I will be trying to find good soil for it that keeps water but doesn't hold it for a long time. Starting now, I will be trying to create names for each plant i propagate, either from cuttings or from saplings, and for this one I have yet to think of the name. Although it didn't last long, the small Amelanchier arborea earned the name Amelia, AMELancheir arborEA. However I have found a large tree just down the road to which I will name Amelia now. May little Amelia rest in peace. If anyone has suggestions for names for either plants I mentioned today, feel free to suggest some. Seeing as the Caryopteris is actually in a poorly draining planter, I think I should move it into the yard while there is a break in the rain downpour.

No comments:

Post a Comment