Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Indoor plants

Hello all! Well with fall here and winter just around the corner, I decided that I'd try and work with some indoor plants for the next few months. My two newest plants, Adenium obesum and Allium cepa. One of these plants is a very exotic plant, the other something you probably have right in your kitchen.
Adenium obesum, desert rose, is the exotic plant I have bought. It is native to Africa likes sandy fast draining soils. It is used in America as an indoor tropical plant. The absolute coldest it can take is zone 10 so unless you live in southern Florida, this plant will only be good inside your house during the winter. Because it is a member of the Apocynaceae family, this plant is used primarily for its beautiful flowers. Some other members of this family that you might know of include Vinca minor, perwinkle, which is quite invasive, and Plumeria ssp., Frangipani trees and shrubs. All members of this family have beautiful, most of the time fragrant, flowers which have 5 petals. I bought this plant as I love the flowers that this family produce and the unique look of the trunk and bark of the tree (It's other common name is Elephant's foot).
Now the other plant I'm growing, allium cepa, is none other than the common onion. It was quite easy to grow it actually. I simply took the butt of the onion that everyone cuts off, put it into a 4" by 4" by 5" planter with some soil. I watered it and within a few days bam! I already have some half inch sprouts popping up! I kid you not! Next time you have an onion butt don't toss it in the trash. Plant it in a planter. It can be TINY and it will still sprout a new plant. I am never going to toss out onion butts from now on, that's how easy it is.
I am definitely going to take advantage of this easy plant to grow and possibly take a larger planter and grow multiple onions in it over the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment