Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

Exploration Day

Well today me and my family went to Sugarloaf Mountain, a mountain about an hour from our house. We went there and we were exploring the paths and trails and I decided to do a little detour route. Well as I was doing so, I stumbled upon some wild serviceberry, a small native fruiting tree that is part of the rose family, and I was elated. I got my hands a little bit dirty, but I successfully dug one up, keeping the roots nice and intact and carried it along with me for the trip. It is now planted in my backyard. The one thing that I absolutely love about it is the fact that the berries, which ripen in June, are edible and, apparently, taste like wild blueberries. Although I don't think my sapling will be fruiting this year, I saw that others the same size as it were fruiting so I know next year it will definitely have fruit.
Additionally before the trip I decided to plant the beans that have survived from my brother's science fair project and planted them by our fence in a nice sunny spot. I have also planted some pumpkin along the same fence and apparently beans and pumpkin are great companion plants.
The other day I also transferred the Eastern Red bud into the yard, putting it in a spot which has light shade. I've jimmy rigged a system to keep it upright but I hope that it can support itself sometime down the road. In terms of the Hostas and Canna I will likely be planting them in the next few weeks and once I do I will take pictures of them as well as all the other things, as to show my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment